Savannakhet is a historic city located in central Laos, known for its French colonial architecture, ancient temples, and scenic landscapes. Here are ten top things to do in Savannakhet:
1. Visit the That Ing Hang Stupa, a revered Buddhist site that is said to contain relics of the Buddha.
2. Explore the Savannakhet Provincial Museum, which showcases the history and culture of the region.
3. Take a walking tour of the city’s French colonial architecture, including the Governor’s Residence and the Catholic Church of St. Theresa.
4. Visit the Dinosaur Museum, which is home to a collection of fossils and dinosaur remains found in the region.
5. Take a boat tour of the Mekong River, which offers stunning views of the city and surrounding landscapes.
6. Visit the Wat Xayaphoum temple, which features intricate carvings and a beautiful golden stupa.
7. Take a day trip to the nearby Xe Champhone wetlands, where you can spot rare bird species and explore the area’s diverse ecosystems.
8. Visit the Tao Sikhoraphum temple, which features a unique blend of Lao and Thai architectural styles.
9. Sample local street food at the Savannakhet Night Market, which offers a variety of delicious Lao dishes.
10. Take a cycling tour of the countryside, where you can explore small villages and see daily life in rural Laos.